Take care throughout the year and especially around the holidays, to guard your chocolate treats from your animals.
Most dogs love the smell and taste of chocolate and are great at sniffing it out! Unfortunately, it's highly toxic to dogs and cats alike and should be kept in a place safe from both (think refrigerator or closed cabinet).
Although cats are less likely to consume chocolate since they're not typically drawn to the scent in the same way dogs are, the crinkle of a candy wrapper can make for a fun toy which could cause them to ingest the candy by accident.
Other foods that are hazardous to your dog according to the ASPCA include:
- Bread Dough (due to the live yeast)
- Grain Alcohol or Drinking Alcohol
- Grapes and Raisins
- Macadamia Nuts
- Moldy Foods
- Onions and Garlic
- Xylitol (sugar-free sweetener often found in sugar-free gum)
In the case of accidental poisoning, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately at 1-800-213-6680.
The sooner a dog poisoning or cat poisoning is diagnosed, the easier, less expensive, and safer it is to treat.